HOW DOES NORMAL SKIN LOOK LIKE?
Eudermic or normal skin has the perfect balance of oil and water which allows skin cells to do their job naturally and effectively. Thus, the skin appears healthier, looks plump, and has a healthy glow – common for younger people, skin becoming less balanced as we age.
The T-zone (forehead, chin, and nose) may be a bit oily, but overall sebum and moisture are balanced, and the skin is neither too oily nor too dry. Normal skin is less likely to suffer from skin conditions and appears clear, radiant, and healthy. That being said, people with this skin type can still experience some minor breakouts, dryness, and oiliness.
If you have normal skin, you might have noticed the following:
/ Pores are fine, hardly visible
/ No or a small amount of blemishes
/ Skin tone is even, clear, and smooth
/ Radiant complexion
/ No severe sensitivity
/ Skin is not dry nor oily
/ Good blood circulation
WHY IS pH IMPORTANT?
To keep your skin balanced, pay close attention to your pH levels. pH (potential of hydrogen) is a measure of how acidic/basic water is. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. The lower numbers are acidic, while the upper levels are considered alkaline, or non-acidic.
You might be surprised to learn that a healthy skin pH is more on the acidic side – around 5. The face, chest, and hands tend to be more alkaline than areas of the skin, as they are constantly exposed to environmental elements (such as temperature and pollutants). With more acidity, your skin can combat harmful microbes and free radicals (damaging compounds) that might increase the aging process.
While your pH level is largely determined by genetics, environmental stressors and age can alter your pH as well. The average newborn has a skin pH of about 7 and with age, the pH becomes more acidic which is why older people tend to have dryer skin. If your pH is not in check, the skin barrier gets damaged which then can potentially cause skin issues like oiliness, dryness, acne, redness, eczema, and others.
6 LIFESTYLE AND BEAUTY TIPS THAT WILL HELP KEEP YOUR SKIN WELL-BALANCED
While skin type is primarily a result of genetics, you must make sure to avoid external factors that can disturb your oil and water balance.
- Use gentle products. If you have normal skin, remember to keep it simple when it comes to your skincare. You do not need to use products that are designed for dry or oily skin as they can disturb your pH balance. Products with harsh ingredients can strip away your natural skin barrier and cause harm.
- Have a balanced diet. The food you consume can have a significant impact on your skin. Avoid foods that are acidic in nature, such as sugar, yeast, alcohol, or caffeine. Instead, you could opt for foods that contain antioxidants that will protect your skin against damage. Include avocados, broccoli, grains, and green leafy vegetables, which are rich in antioxidants, into your diet.
- Keep your makeup and makeup tools clean. If not cleaned regularly, makeup brushes, bags, and sponges collect bacteria, dead skin cells, oil, and grime—all of which can seriously hinder your quest for glowing skin. You should clean these tools as much as possible, at least once a week.
- Take care of your surroundings. Make sure that objects that come in contact with your skin are sanitized. Wash your pillowcases regularly, do not forget to sanitize your phone occasionally, and avoid touching your face.
- Always use sunscreen. When enjoying a sunny day outside, it is especially important to remember that as lovely as the sun can be, it can also be very damaging for the skin and speed up the aging process. To protect yourself from the dangerous UV rays, you should apply sunscreen every time you go outside.
- Drink a lot of water. With our busy lifestyles, it can be easy to forget to drink enough water. Drinking plenty of water will balance the oil and water content on the skin of your face. It is generally recommended to drink 8 cups of water a day.
5 NATURAL INGREDIENTS THAT WILL KEEP NORMAL SKIN HAPPY:
/ Oat kernel extract. Extracted from the grains of the plant, oats are rich in essential fatty acids, fortifying cell membranes and supplying the skin with ample moisture and nourishment. The gently conditioning benefits of oat extract soothe the skin, while naturally occurring antioxidants secure exceptional protection from free radicals. The anti-inflammatory properties of oat calm and comfort the skin, leaving it pleasingly soft and smooth.
/ Apple fruit water. The potent water, distilled from the fruit of apple trees, vitalizes and nourishes the skin with naturally occurring vitamins and minerals. With a lower PH value than regular water, apple fruit water has a closer affinity to the skin’s own PH balance, thereby enhancing the moisturizing and soothing properties
/ Chamomile flower extract. This extract, derived from the chamomile flowers of the plant, has skin conditioning properties while the primary component in the extract, bisabol, has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and skin-soothing benefits, helping to improve the appearance of skin by combating irritation and restoring suppleness. Bisabol also aids the penetration of other beneficial ingredients into the skin.
/ Vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps to keep skin cells healthy. The skin naturally has a high concentration of vitamin C but with time it decreases as the skin is exposed to the sun and other environmental factors. Vitamin h C helps revitalize and repair the skin’s texture and tone by encouraging collagen production and constraining melanin pigmentation. Vitamin C leaves the skin replenished and balanced, with a radiant appearance.
/ Hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a natural compound found in the skin and serves as an inner moisturizing agent. At NUORI we use a unique split form of hyaluronic acid, which has a lower molecular weight and size; therefore, it can penetrate the skin, delivering remarkably hydrating and fortifying benefits. Not only does it replenish and retain the skin's inner water reservoirs, but the ingredient also functions as an exceptional carrier of other beneficial ingredients for the skin, such as vitamins and fatty acids.
THE 4-STEP SKINCARE ROUTINE FOR NORMAL SKIN
STEP 1 - CLEANSE
Vital Foaming Cleanser - This luxuriously creamy foaming cleanser meticulously removes dirt and makeup without stripping the skin of its natural oils. It has a gentle, yet powerful formula that makes it perfect for daily use. Botanical glycerin helps maintain the skin’s natural moisture balance, leaving it smooth, supple, and refreshed while the fermented pomegranate enzyme and radish root extract deliver antioxidant protection.
STEP 2 – TREAT
Vital Repair Serum - An intensely hydrating, lightweight serum that calms and deeply re-hydrates skin, while targeting both emerging and existing visible signs of photodamage. It is perfect for skin exposed to seasonal or lifestyle stressors which can disturb the balance of your skin.
STEP 3 - HYDRATE
Vital Facial Cream - This easily absorbed lightweight cream brings back the skin’s vitality and helps prevent and reduce first signs of aging, and instantly restores the skin’s natural moisture levels. The Botanical squalane, jojoba oil, and sweet almond oil nourish the skin and deliver superb barrier protection thereby preventing moisture loss.
STEP 4 - PROTECT
Mineral Defence Sunscreen – Even though there are products that are highly effective against sun damage if the skin has been exposed to too many UV rays it might never recover completely. That is why sunscreen should be an essential part of your skincare routine.
An advanced, all-natural facial sunscreen that delivers both broad-spectrum protection and skincare benefits. Proven to protect skin against premature aging. Gives the skin a soft sensory feel and a primer-like finish, making this sunscreen ideal for everyday usage. It also ensures high protection against the aging and drying effects of UVA and UVB rays - with trouble-free application and seamless finish.
PRO TIP FROM THE NUORI SKINCARE SPECIALIST
"For a normal skin type, I would recommend going for light textures and balancing ingredients like the ones found in our Vital Line products."
- Blerta, NUORI skincare specialist
Not sure if your skin type is “normal”? Take the skincare quiz here.